Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sweet Foods and Sweet Friends

I (Rachel) didn't realize until I was writing a title that all of the stories for this post involve food. Enjoy! :)

Also in Seattle (see the last post), we got to see many of my close friends from Central Asia! We walked to the beach with Michael and Analia (and Lich and Suzie, but they're taking the picture).

 Apparently in Washington, you can just pick blackberries anywhere along the road!
So we picked some to snack on...

Then decided we should pick some to put over ice cream for dessert...

And ended up making blackberry pie!

Aimee and Brian joined us for dinner and pie. (And we got to stay with them for 3 days.)
It felt just like we were at home again! 
 Love you girls!


On my birthday, we headed down to Portland and Josh took me out for...
 ...the first Turkish food I've ever had in the U.S.!!

My most favoritest dish, iskander kebab.
Delicious.

That night, we had dinner with the Blacks. (I hadn't seen them in 12 years!)
Sabrina made me her famous ice cream cake.
 

The next day, I shared our Turkish find with my friend Teresa, 
and we reminisced together about Central Asia. 
(That's baklava... I haven't mastered the one-hand camera shot yet.)

And I got to have another birthday!

Pineapple upside-down cake.

 Thanks, friends, for the kind of friendship that lasts through years and years, and miles and miles.

And thanks for a wonderful (and tasty) birthday!!