Monday, February 18, 2013

Macro Monday: Camouflage

One big challenge of photographing some creatures is simply finding them! Some are amazingly hidden in their environments. We recently visited a beach in Thailand and for quite a while I did not notice one of the creatures running around on the beach! See if you can spot it (Yes there is something there):




 Here is a slightly cropped version in case you are having trouble:



 
Did you find it? Here it is full size. 
  
To give you a little size comparison, I think the main body of the crab was about the size of a dime. They were so well hidden in the sand that you only really spotted them if they moved, and even then they almost looked like a little bit of trash or something blowing around.

Here was a better picture that I got using my 50mm lens (not reversed)

The only closeup I got on one of the crabs was this one and it was of its backside. Still, I was very excited to get the shot because they were SO skittish and would not let you come within a few feet of them.

Photos taken with a Canon T2i with a Canon 50mm 1.8 and a manual 50mm lens reversed for better macro. 
Copyright Josh Destree, please do not use without permission
If you would ever like a print of any of my photos, please just contact me :-)